Social engineering refers to a manipulative technique that cyber-criminals use to secure access to the confidential business data of small companies. These hackers intend to deceptively gain the trust of their victims over time. They accomplish this objective by launching an unsuspecting scam in the form of phishing email campaigns to lure the corporations’ entrepreneurs. These criminals then resort to various tactics to trick them into revealing sensitive information about the company.
Orange County Managed IT Service Provider – Impact of social engineering attacks on small companies
A successful social engineering cyber-attack by criminals on small companies can have a disastrous effect on their business operations. The entrepreneurs of these corporations can lose the sensitive information of their stakeholders and finances in a matter of seconds. The cyber-criminals then use the confidential data they obtain without their victims’ knowledge to:
- Apply for online credit cards or high-interest personal loans,
- File false income-tax return declarations with the authorities,
- Illegally siphon their victims’ funds by making online purchases or money transfers, and
- Launch separate ransomware to extort money from their victims over time.
This kind of cyber-attack jeopardizes the reputation of small companies by eroding the trust of their customers. Moreover, the entrepreneurs are also liable for legal costs for not taking adequate cyber-security measures to safeguard their customers’ data.
Role of managed IT service providers
Most entrepreneurs of small companies do not have the expertise to avert social engineering cyber-attacks on their businesses. They choose to hire reliable managed IT service providers specializing in cyber-security to safeguard their business data from these threats. These are third-party corporations that offer to take on the responsibility of remotely managing their clients’ entire IT infrastructure.
Benefits of hiring a good Orange County Managed IT Service Provider
With the right Orange County Managed IT Service Provider, you can:
- Introduce anti-social engineering system protocols to restrict access to confidential data,
- Monitor the companies’ IT infrastructure to identify vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit,
- Allot access privileges to companies’ employees who need to use the data to carry out their duties,
- Set up a two-factor authentication process to ensure secure access to the sensitive data,
- Conduct phishing email attack simulations to boost detection of social engineering threats,
- Implement a policy dictating how employees are to post business data on social media sites,
- Execute a system to filter spam emails that cyber-criminals can use as gateways, and
- Launch regular cyber-security awareness seminars for the companies’ employees and managers.
The team of managed IT service providers even checks the effectiveness of the firewalls in their clients’ IT infrastructure to stop social engineering attacks.
A credible Orange County Managed IT Service Provider can help a business stop the above attacks with the right security protocols. The service provider should have good credentials and repute in the market. The specialists should be qualified and skilled in managing these attacks and have proven track records in the field. Conduct your research on them extensively before you finally hire the company for your specific needs.