Notebook and desktop PC keyboards can become very unappetizing. Day after day, sometimes dirty fingers tap on it, dust settles, crumbs fall into the gaps, and sometimes coffee spills over it. Good that at least the many germs are not visible to the naked eye! If you want to keep hygiene as good as possible, clean this hotspot regularly, it’s easy to do in between. SCS Group Integrated Services ‘s 7 keyboard cleaning tips from your cleaning expert will help you get to those hard-to-reach spots. Cleaning the keyboard can be so easy and wonderfully effective at the same time!
Cleaning the laptop keyboard: the right way to do it!
There are numerous instructions about cleaning the keyboard circulating online, but not every tip makes sense. As a Brisbane cleaning company with many years of experience, we are also familiar with the cleaning of computers and their accessories, which is why our customers like to book us for professional office cleaning. Proceed according to plan according to the following guide:
- Disconnecting the device from the power supply: First, pull out the mains plug and switch off the computer. If possible, remove the battery as well. This way you don’t give the computer accidental commands and also don’t come into contact with electricity.
- Remove loose dirt: In the next step, remove the loose dirt by turning the keyboard around, shaking it out, and possibly loosening the last residue by gently tapping on the back.
- Thoroughly clean the keyboard: Now it’s time for the actual cleaning! Clean the keyboard with a soft cloth and a drop of isopropyl alcohol. A disinfectant can also be helpful. Be careful with moisture to avoid getting the hardware under the keys wet.
Additional tips: What is the best way to clean the keyboard?
Compressed air spray: there are other ways to thoroughly clean the keyboard with simple means. For example, compressed air spray can often get a lot more out of the gaps. However, if your keys are already a bit loose, it is better to leave the spray alone.
Vacuum cleaner: The vacuum cleaner is not a good choice for sucking up crumbs and dust, because it risks damaging the keyboard and some keycaps have disappeared in the dust bag, never to be seen again.
Toothpick: Use a toothpick to pick up the usual mixture of dust, grease, and other sticky stuff from the indentations. Be very careful when doing this so that the toothpick does not break off, and the tip becomes wedged.
Cleaning the keyboard with home remedies: these are the options
You can already see that cleaning the keyboard does not require harsh chemical agents, small household remedies such as a toothpick are often sufficient. You can also use a little (!) water with a little washing-up liquid and/or use cotton swabs to polish the gaps to a high gloss. Incidentally, a simple, lint-free cloth with a surface that is as soft as possible (cotton or microfiber) suffices for cleaning.
Removing and cleaning the laptop keyboard: is that possible?
A mechanical keyboard, which is common on laptops, allows for another cleaning option: you can remove the individual key caps and clean them individually. Cleaning is done with alcohol or under running water. Soaking can also help with stubborn incrustations. Some put their keycaps in a laundry bag and put everything together in the washing machine. In this case, the spin cycle should not be too high.
Cleaning the mechanical keyboard: pay attention to this!
But be careful: constant installation and removal can lead to the keycaps becoming loose and catching on your fingers when typing. Then you need a replacement.
Also: If you clean the keyboard without the key caps, it is better not to touch the pressure sensors, because they are very sensitive. And remember that the key caps also have the function of protecting against moisture ingress. With the caps off, water and alcohol should be taboo on the keyboard.
Cleaning a MacBook keyboard: do I have to do something different?
Whether you are looking at a MacBook keyboard or a device from another manufacturer makes little difference. Cleaning is done in the same way. You can usually take out your MacBook’s key caps when needed. It works like this:
- The caps have two clips at the top and two hooks at the bottom.
- First, loosen the two clips at the top, then you will have more leeway.
- Next, you can gently unclip the cap from its hooks.
- If you need help, use a screwdriver.
- It is important to always be careful and never use force.
The time question: How often should you clean your keyboard?
How often you should clean a keyboard depends on how often it is used – and how you use the device. Normally it is sufficient to carry out a short cleaning once a week and to turn the device upside down once a month. If you have any further questions or requests regarding cleaning, please contact us.